Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Big Mistake!

Hey it's me, Sherry. Stephanie is getting ready to go on vacation, and asked if I would write the blog today.

Sunday night while babysitting my granddaughters, Kaiya and Allie, I decided to color my hair. What a mistake -- a Big Mistake! I choose a medium brown color shown on the box and got a "gothic" black result. I totally panicked, ran to the computer, googled died my hair too dark, and went to work trying to lighten the brassy black from my hair.

The first suggestions on the web page were out of the question because I knew Stephanie did not have any of those products just laying around the house (it was 12:30 a.m. so running to the local hair salon was not an option). I read advice about several different ways to lighten the color and started with Dawn dish soap. After leaving that solution in place for 20 minutes, I rinsed and it was still too dark. I then scoured her cupboards to find olive oil. One suggestion on the web site was olive oil and mayonnaise. Stephanie had Miracle Whip in the refrigerator but now I wondered, does Miracle Whip work or does it have to be real mayonnaise? Realizing I have nothing to lose at this time, I concocted the mixture of both and applied. After ten minutes, the oil started to drip off my hair and onto Stephanie's borrowed shirt. Does olive oil stain? Soon I rinsed off that solution and still, too dark. I did not know whether to laugh or cry. Instead, I opted for solution number three, which was dandruff shampoo because of its higher level of sulfates. Saturating my hair once more, I soaked for another twenty minutes. After rinse number of four, my hair was still too black. I surrendered to the dark, the dark hair and the dark of night, and went to bed.

Monday started off with several calls to those who I thought could help me with my dilemma. Advised to keep washing in several applications of Dawn, my hair did not lighten to my satisfaction. Around mid-afternoon, a decision to put in highlights resurrected, and a friend, of the beautician nature,(thanks Jolene!) came over to help. Bottom line--my hair is dark, the highlights break it up a bit, and it is going to be a long several months.

What a mistake -- a BIG mistake! Sin can be just like that--unintentional and dark. We can do everything possible to wash it out but there is only one solution. That is the blood of Jesus Christ. 1 John 1:9 states, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Once we admit our sin (mistakes), Christ will forgive and it is like we never sinned. Too bad that does not work on hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment