Friday, August 21, 2009

Light at the End of the Tunnel

On our way to Fargo to see Beth Moore last week, I could not help but notice the skyline. You could distinctly draw a horizontal line dividing cloud cover from clear sky. Even when we were a couple of miles off in the overcast, gray, and dark atmosphere, we could see sunshine ahead. As we drove further east, we came to a spot in the road where we met that division. It was really cool!

In 1986-87, my life centered around an overcast, gray, and dark atmosphere. But while I lived in that tunnel, I could not see any light - no break from the circumstances that engulfed me. My in-laws both lost their health--June, became a double leg amputee and Oliver fell over one day from a massive stroke, completely paralyzed on the left side and no speech. June moved in with us, but a couple weeks later, George, my husband, left to work out of state leaving me with June and our three children at 6, 5, and 4 years of age. My days consisted of the nursing home visits, social service office visits, disability office visits, doctors office visits, lawyer office visits and real estate office visits as their farm of 42 years was up for sale. It was a crazy and overwhelming time.

June and I spent our nights talking about the Lord, reading the Word, and listening to many childhood stories -- mostly hers and those of my husband and his siblings. We grew very close as we depended on the Lord and encouraged one another during these trying times.

One morning while clearing a path from the freshly fallen snow so I could get June and the wheelchair to the car, I broke down crying and pleading for the Lord to provide some light. He did. Later that afternoon, June received a phone call from her eldest son Dale, a pastor living hundreds of miles away. He just accepted a call to Mayville, North Dakota and the plans were to get a power of attorney over both Oliver and June so he could handle the legal issues of selling the farm and getting things ready for an auction. I can not express the relief this provided not only for me, but also for June. His move to North Dakota provided enough light for the next step in the journey. Enough light to be reminded that God did not abandon us. Enough light to have hope renewed.

If you find yourself in one of those tunnels with little or no light on the horizon, hang in there. God is faithful. 1 Timothy 2:13, "if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself."

May the son shine soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment