Friday, August 7, 2009

Fighting for Position

Volleyball starts in a little over a week, and the girls will be vying for a position on the varsity, jv, and c teams. As my coaching assistants, Kara and Brittany help me make determinations of who will play where, we will watch our athletes fight for a position. When I think about how hard some of the girls have prepared with acceleration programs, open gyms, and volleyball camps--the time, the fortitude and tenacity, the commitment and dedication, I know breaking the news of team selections will be difficult. Someone is always hurt when denied that prized position when they have worked so hard to get one.

I wonder how much more we would hear from God if we worked as hard to get in a position to hear from Him. If giving the same time, fortitude and tenacity, commitment and dedication, what could our relationship with Him be like?

Instead of feeling like our relationship with God is one-sided because we usually do all the talking, we could know God more, we could know the direction He wants us to take, we could be very close friends. John 15:15b "I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."

As my volleyball season is around the bend and the competition begins, I pray we will fight for a position -- a position where we will readily and expectantly hear from God -- a prized position. And the best news is we will never be denied.

1 comment:

  1. so say a person does everything to get better and ready for the new vb season but they just don't have the ability like another person, who didn't have to work as hard to get the position? how does that apply to working hard to know God, and still not "getting" it?

    ReplyDelete